UPSC Central Armed Police Forces 2020: Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will hold Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants Examination 2020 on 20th December 2020. The UPSC CAPF AC 2020 exam for recruitment of Assistant Commandants (Group A) in the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) viz. Border Security Force (BSF),Central Reserve Police Force CRPF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo‐Tibetan Border Police(ITBP) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). Eligible Indian Citizens both Male and Female apply online through UPSC Online Portal on or before 7th September 2020.
What is CAPF – AC Exam?
The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) refers to the uniform nomenclature of seven security forces in India under the authority of the Ministry of Home Affairs. They are the Assam Rifles (AR), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Border Security Force (BSF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), National Security Guard (NSG), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
Recruitment is conducted mainly in three modes
- Gazetted Officers: Officers in CAPFs are recruited through the Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination conducted by UPSC.
- Subordinate Officers: Sub Inspectors are recruited through competitive examination conducted by the Staff Selection Commission and they are referred as DASOs (Directly Appointed Subordinate Officers).
- Constables: Constables are recruited through competitive examination conducted by the Staff Selection Commission.
CAPF Assistant Commandants
- Border Security Force (BSF)
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
- Central Industrial Security Force(CISF)
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
- Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)
UPSC CAPF Exam Highlights
|Exam||Central Armed Police Forces Examination|
|Conducted By||Union Public Service Commission|
|Name of the Post||Assistant Commandant|
|Number of Vacancies||Approximately 250|
|Frequency||Once a year|
|Age Limit||20-25 years|
|Application fee||INR 200|
|Gender||Male and female are eligible|
|Selection Procedure||Written, physical test and interview|
|Number of Applications||Approximately 3 lakh|
|E-Admit card||3 weeks before the exam|
|Withdrawal of Application||Yes|
CAPF AC’s 2020
- The CAPF AC’s 2020 exam notification was released by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). This year there are 209 total vacancies are released for Assistant Commandants (ACs) Posts in the Central Armed Police Forces.
- The examination will be held on December 20, 2020, in accordance with the rules for the examination published by the Ministry of Home Affairs in the Gazette of India.
- Their admission at all the stages of the examination will be purely provisional subject to satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions.
- All the aspirants who want to apply online for CAPF AC’s Recruitment 2020 will have to check all the required details available on our website and the notification released by the official website.
CAPF Notification 2020
The UPSC has released the CAPF Assistant Commandant (AC) recruitment notification for a total of 209 vacancies. Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria set by the Commission can apply online for the Assistant Commandant posts. Interested aspirants can apply online for CAPF AC until September 7, 2020.
The CAPF Assistant Commandant (AC) official notification 2020 is here for reference. Access the CAPF notification for more information related to service allocation and others.
CAPF 2020 Number Of Vacancies
The UPSC releases the CAPF notification to shortlist the candidates for recruitment of Assistant Commandants (Group A). Check the tentative number of vacancies for CAPF AC exam.
|S No||Security Forces||Vacancies|
|1||Border Security Force (BSF)||78|
|2||Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)||13|
|3||Central Industrial Security Force (CISF)||69|
|4||Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)||27|
|5||Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)||22|
Aspirants should note that the number of vacancies mentioned above is liable to alteration. The reservation will be given as per policy of the Govt. 10% of the vacancies are earmarked for ex-servicemen.
In case the vacancies reserved for Ex-servicemen remain unfilled due to nonavailability of eligible or qualified candidates, the same shall be filled by candidates from non ex-servicemen category.
CAPF Important Dates 2020
|CAPF AC Notification||August 18, 2020|
|Online applications starting date||August 18, 2020|
|Last date to apply||September 7, 2020|
|Admit card||November 2020|
|CAPF AC exam date||December 20, 2020|
|CAPF AC result||January 2021|
CAPF Application Procedure
- Interested candidates who satisfy the eligibility conditions set by the Commission can apply online for the Assistant Commandant post through the website www.upsconline.nic.in.
- The online application process comprises of two stages.
- Candidates are advised to scan their photograph and signature prior to filling up the application form.
- The photograph and signature should be in the .jpg format. The file should not exceed 40 KB and must not be less than 3 KB in size for the photograph and 1 KB for the signature.
- Aspirants should avoid multiple applications.
- Candidates are suggested to apply online well in time without waiting for the last date for submission of Online Applications.
- There is no option for the withdrawal of online application for CAPF.
- In order to apply online, candidates can use this link – CAPF AC Application Process.
CAP Application Fee
All the eligible candidates should pay the application fee prescribed by the UPSC. The application fee is INR 200, which can be deposited in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India or by using Visa/Master/RuPay/Credit/Debit Card. Some candidates belonging to reserved categories such as SC/ST are exempted from paying the application fee. One should note that all the female candidates are also exempted from the application fee.
CAPF Examination centre
The written examination for the CAPF Assistant Commandant will be held at the below-listed examination centres. The allotment of the test centres will be based on the ”first-apply-first-allot.”
No person who is not a citizen of India shall, except with the consent of the Central Government signified in writing be appointed or employed under these Rules.
Provided that nothing contained in these rules shall debar the appointment, enrolment or employment of a subject of Nepal or Bhutan under these Rules.
Both Male and Female candidates are eligible for appointment to the post of Assistant Commandants.
Here are the certain educational qualifications that the applicants must possess to be eligible for CAPF:
- As part of UPSC CAPF Eligibility Criteria, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a government recognised university. The University should be incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India
- Other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 are also acceptable
- Those candidates, who have appeared in the qualifying examination and have yet not got their results, can also apply for CAPF Exam. But, it must be kept in mind that the admission would be provisional until the candidate produces proof of passing the examination after qualifying the entrance test of CAPF
Age Limit :
- The candidate must have acquired a minimum age of 20 years. The upper age limit of the candidate must be 25 years. However, the upper age limit up to a maximum of five years can be relaxed for candidates belonging to SC/ST category
- Up to a maximum of three years for the candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes can be relaxed
- The candidate who wishes to apply for CAPF 2020 must be an Indian national. Both female and male candidates can apply for the CAPF exam. There are different medical standards set by UPSC to apply for the desired post through UPSC CAPF 2020
- The candidates who have already been once selected on the basis of the CAPF exam earlier cannot apply for the exam
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assistant Commandant (AC) lead a company of around 150 armed personnel, which is deployed for conducting elections and maintaining normalcy, apart from the original mandates of border guarding and guarding the industrial corridors (CISF). Though CRPF is one such force which is directly involved in law and order maintenance and assisting the local administration in maintaining the local order
- The Assistant Commandant has to perform functions like planning and conduct of operations, ensuring on the job training to keep the Company in the constant state of operational preparedness for the requirement in any situation, organizing independent intelligence network for operational efficiency, ensuring efficacy and serviceability of armaments in the Company.
CAPF – AC Examination Pattern
Central Armed Police Forces Examination Recruitment for Assistant Commandant takes place after a selection procedure that includes:
Scheme of Exam:
The examination shall be conducted according to the following plan;
(i) Written Examination:
The written examination is going to be conducted by the UPSC on December 20, 2020, and will comprise two papers, i.e. Paper-I and Paper-II and the structure as follows:
Paper-I: General Ability and Intelligence – 250 Marks
The questions in this paper will be of objective (multiple answers) type in which the questions will be set in English as well as Hindi.
Paper-II: General Studies, Essay and Comprehension – 200 Marks
The candidates will be allowed the option of writing the Essay Component in English or Hindi for this paper, but the medium of Precis Writing, Comprehension Components, and other communications/language skills will be English only.
- In Paper II, candidates should have to ensure that they should have to write the answers only in the medium allowed by the Commission for the different Components as mentioned.
- Other than the allowed medium, no credit will be given for answers written other than the selected language. So, candidates will be required to indicate the medium of Essay Component in the Attendance Lists and on the Answer Book.
- No credit will be given for the Essay Component if the candidate indicates a medium on the Attendance List and on the Answer Book other than the one in which he/she has written the Essay.
- In each paper, there will be minimum qualifying marks separately as fixed by the Commission in their discretion. Firstly, Paper-I will be evaluated and the evaluation of Paper-II will be done only for those candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying marks in Paper-I.
(ii) Physical Standards/Physically Efficiency Test and Medical Standard Tests:
For those candidates who meet the prescribed Physical Standards will be put through the Physical Efficiency Tests as mentioned below:
|Type Of Test
||Males – Total Time Limit & Distance To Qualify||Females – Total Time Limit & Distance To Qualify|
|100 Meters Race||In 16 Seconds||In 18 Seconds|
|800 Meters Race||In 3 Minutes 45 Seconds||In 4 Minutes 45 Seconds|
|Long Jump||3.5 Meters||3 Meters|
|Shot Put (7.26 Kgs)||4.5 Meters||–|
At the time of PET, Pregnant female candidates will be a disqualified and the candidates will be rejected.
(iii) Interview/Personality Test:
The candidates who are declared qualified in the Medical Standards Tests will be called for Interview/Personality Test to be conducted by UPSC.
The candidates who are declared medically unfit but allowed to appear before the “Review Medical Board” on their appeal by the Appellate Authority will be called for Interview/Personality Tests provisionally. The Interview/Personality Test will carry 150 Marks.
The candidates who are short-listed for Interview/Personality Test, including those shortlisted for Interview/Personality Test provisionally will be issued a Detailed Application Form (DAF) in which among other things, they will be required to indicate their preference of Forces.
(iv) Final Selection/Merit:
The merit list will be drawn on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates in the Written Examination and Interview/Personality Test.
*Mobile Phone/other articles banned:
- Mobile phones or any other communication devices are not allowed inside the premises where the examination is being conducted. Any infringement of these instructions shall entail disciplinary action including ban from future examinations
- Candidates are advised in their own interest not to bring any of the banned items including mobile phones or any valuable/costly items to the venue of the examination, as the arrangement for safe-keeping cannot be assured. A commission will not be responsible for any loss in this regard
CAPF Assistant Commandants Syllabus 2020 Main Syllabus
The UPSC conducts the Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination to shortlist the candidates for various forces such as Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo‐Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
The selection will be made through written examination comprises of two papers – General Ability and Intelligence and General Studies, Essay and Comprehension.
Paper-I: General Ability and Intelligence (250 Marks)
General Mental Ability: The questions will be designed to test the logical reasoning, quantitative aptitude including numerical ability, and data interpretation.
General Science: The questions will be set to test general awareness, scientific temper, comprehension, and appreciation of scientific phenomena of everyday observation including new areas of importance like Information Technology, Biotechnology, Environmental Science.
Current Events of National and International Importance: The questions will test the candidates’ awareness of current events of national and international importance in the board areas of culture, music, arts, literature, sports, governance, societal and developmental issues, industry, business, globalisation, and interplay among nations,.
Indian Polity and Economy: The questions shall aim to test candidates’ knowledge of the Country’s political system and the Constitution of India, Social systems and public administration, economic development in India, regional and international security issues and human rights including its indicators.
History of India: The questions will broadly cover the subject in its social and economic aspects of geography pertaining to India and the World.
Indian and World Geography: The questions shall cover the physical, social and economic aspects of geography pertaining to India and the World.
Paper-II: General Studies, Essay and Comprehension (200 marks)
Part‐A – Essay questions which are to be answered in the long narrative form either in Hindi or English totalling 80 Marks. The indicative topics are modern Indian history especially of the freedom struggle, geography, polity and economy, knowledge of security and human rights issues, and analytical ability.
Part‐B – Comprehension, précis writing, other communications/language skills – to be attempted in English only (Marks 120) – The topics are Comprehension passages, précis writing, developing counter arguments, simple grammar and other aspects of language testing.
The UPSC Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination Syllabus 2020 pdf available to download. Applicants for UPSC Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination Recruitment 2020 Written examination can get the exam syllabi and exam pattern here. Click on the attached file below to download the entire syllabus for the academic year.
CAPF Assistant Commandants Question Papers
The UPSC is conducting the CAPF exam for the post of Assistant Commandants for which it also released an official notification in the official website.
Below are the previous year’s question papers of Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination conducted by UPSC for various posts and vacancy.
Download CAPF Assistant Commandants Question Paper
- CAPF AC’s Answer Keys Set A 2018
- CAPF AC’s Answer Keys Set C 2018
- CAPF AC’s Answer Keys Set D 2018
- CAPF AC’s Paper I General Ability and Intelligence Question Paper 2019
- CAPF AC’s Paper II General Studies, Essay and Comprehension Question Paper 2019
- CAPF AC’s Paper I General Ability and Intelligence Question Paper 2018
- CAPF AC’s Paper II General Studies, Essay and Comprehension Question Paper 2018
- CAPF AC’s General Ability and Intelligence Answer Keys 2017
- CAPF AC’s Paper II General Studies, Essay and Comprehension Question Paper 2017
- CAPF AC’s Paper I General Ability and Intelligence Question Paper 2017
- CAPF AC’s Paper II General Studies, Essay and Comprehension Question Paper 2016
- CAPF AC’s Paper I General Ability and Intelligence Question Paper 2016
- CAPF AC’s Paper I General Ability and Intelligence Question Paper 2015
- CAPF AC’s Paper II General Studies, Essay and Comprehension Question Paper 2015
- CAPF AC’s Paper I General Ability and Intelligence Question Paper 2014
- CAPF AC’s Paper II General Studies, Essay and Comprehension Question Paper 2014
How to Apply :
1. Candidates are required to apply online only by using the website https://www. upsconline.nic.in. Brief instructions for filling up the online Application Form have been given in Appendix-II. Detailed instructions are available on the above mentioned website.
2. Candidate should have details of one Photo ID Card viz. Aadhaar Card/Voter Card/PANCard/Passport/Driving License/Any other Photo ID Card issued by the State/Central Government. The details of this Photo ID Card will have to be provided by the candidate while filling up the online application form. The candidates will have to upload a scanned copy of the Photo ID whose details have been provided in the online application by him/her. This Photo ID Card will be used for all future referencing and the candidate is advised to carry this Photo ID Card while appearing for Examination/Personality Test.
3. The Commission has introduced the facility of withdrawal of Application for those candidates who do not want to appear for the Examination. In this regard, Instructions are mentioned in Appendix-II (B) of this Examination Notice.
4. Last Date For Submission And Withdrawal Of Applications: The Online Applications can be filled upto 07th September, 2020 till 18.00 Hours. The online Applications can be withdrawn from 14.09.2020 to 20.09.2020 till 6.00 PM. Detailed instructions regarding withdrawal of Applications is available at Appendix-II (B).
5. The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate three weeks before the commencement of the examination. The e-Admission Certificate will be made available in the UPSC website [https//www.upsconline.nic.in] for downloading by candidates. No Admission Certificate will be sent by post. All the applicants are required to provide valid and active E-Mail I.D. while filling up Online Application Form as the Commission may use electronic mode for contacting them.
- How many vacancies in UPSC CAPF (ACs) Exam 2020?
The UPSC Central Armed Police Forces (ACs) Examination, 2020 total vacancies 323.
BSF – 78
CRPF – 13
CISF – 69
ITBP – 27
SSB – 22
- When is UPSC CAPF Exam?
The Union Public Service Commission will hold a Written Examination of CAPF (ACs) on 20th December 2020 (Sunday).
- How to contact UPSC for CAPF exam queries?
In case of any guidance/information/clarification regarding their applications, candidature etc. candidates can contact UPSC’s Facilitation Counter near ‘C’ Gate of its campus in person or over Telephone No. 011-23385271/011-23381125/011-23098543 on working days between 10.00 hrs. and 17.00 hrs.